Despite some growth in oil, the ruble weakened last week. The main factor could be news of a possible resumption of the military conflict in the east of Ukraine.
• The ruble fell 1.09% against the dollar, trading closed at Friday
• 76.4775 USD / RUB
• Against the euro, the ruble depreciated by 0.8% to 89.9525 EUR / RUB
• Against the yuan, the ruble is down 0.62% to 11.64 CNY / RUB
Since the beginning of the year, the ruble has lost 2.77% against the dollar, 1.68% against the yuan, and has strengthened by 1.71% against the euro.
Emerging market currencies showed multidirectional dynamics:
• Brazilian real is up 0.85% (9.9% YTD)
• The Mexican peso is down 1.89% (1.97 YTD)
• Yuan is down 0.44% (1.11% YTD)
• The South Korean won is up 1.78% (2.02% YTD)
• South African rand is up 2.32% (-0.26% YTD)
The dollar index (the value of the dollar against 6 major world currencies) decreased by 0.3%.